The purpose of this position is to ensure we have a source of supply for all materials the plant needs to produce customer orders at a competitive price point, maintain our supplier relationships and help drive cost-reduction projects. This position will also work on a variety of continuous improvement projects to help the facility improve operations.
Key Job Functions/Duties
The Buyer will be responsible for the following:
- Source new parts as needed through new product development efforts, adjustments to existing products, or the need to change suppliers.
- Work directly with Engineering on NPD projects.
- Ensure a competitive bidding process is utilized when processing all purchase requisitions to ensure we pay the most competitive price possible.
- Work on a variety of cost-reduction projects.
- Manage pricing loaded in the ERP system.
- Manage the supply base relationship.
- Pull selected supplier performance data monthly, communicate results with suppliers and if needed work with suppliers to improve performance.
- Provide forecasting to suppliers as needed.
- Pull, review, and take the appropriate actions for PPV reports monthly.
- Help set up new consignment and/or VMI programs as needed.
- Work on continuous improvement projects as needed.
- Help resolve invoice discrepancies with suppliers.
- Assist the plant with returns/debits as needed.
- Assist in reducing the excess and obsolescence report as needed.
- Help launch new programs with the ERP system that affect our material processes as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Experience Required
- Bachelor’s Degree or three years experience in a purchasing-related field, preferably in manufacturing.
- Experience with MRP systems is required.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of how to collect data in order to effectively negotiate the best price possible.
- Complex problem-solving and critical thinking skills are required.
- Experience with Kanban and VMI programs preferred.
- Continuous Improvement and Root Cause Analysis experience preferred.
- Demonstrated effective problem-solving skills. Able to understand complex issues and provide appropriate, effective solutions.
- Anticipates internal customer needs accurately and quickly establishes creditability with internal customers.
- Proven success as a team member, collaborating, cross-functionally, and participating in diverse thinking.
- Ability to achieve goals through influencing others.
- Must be self-motivated with the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Strong ability to analyze data from various systems to get to opportunity/root cause.
- Works with integrity and respect displaying a high degree of tact and diplomacy.
- Must have the ability to effectively handle multiple tight timeline situations.
- Flexible and a strong willingness to adapt and be an advocate for change.
- Ability to work through multiple obstacles to complete daily tasks.
While performing the duties of this job in the Plant or Warehouse, the employee can be exposed to noise. The noise level is usually moderate, but hearing protection may be required in designated areas.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and sit. The employee will use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and use a computer keyboard with a mouse for long periods of time. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move 25 pounds.