The primary responsibility of this position will be to lead the engineering functions for the Industrial business unit at Powerex. This role will require gaining an in-depth understanding of the function and application of Powerex products in order to provide excellent support for the engineering team and their internal and external customers. Additional responsibilities will include developing and executing a strategic vision for the industrial business unit, measuring and improving engineering accuracy and throughput, and driving change for long term improvement.
Who We Are
Powerex is a growing company, but we pride ourselves on being lean and nimble. We have the capital resources of arguably the most successful company in the world – but we operate as an entrepreneurial start-up. Powerex manufactures industry-leading Compressors and Vacuum systems for many critical applications including Hospitals, Electric Vehicles (buses and Class 6 – 8 trucks), and Food & Beverage processing. We are seeking high potential people to join our team. You will be critical to ensure continued profitable growth of Powerex. Powerex is a part of the Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE: BRK.A) family of companies.
- Lead, mentor, and manage the existing engineering team
- Lead team members in the following functions: product development, R&D, sustaining engineering, project engineering, and controls engineering
- Manage priorities and work levels, maintaining balance within the team
- Hire and train new top-level talent
- Mentor and develop team members
- Set departmental goals in line with company objectives
- Support ongoing customer needs in Distribution/OEM and Automotive segments
- Provide resources and technical support for Manufacturing, Quality, and Sales & Marketing
- Create and maintain NPD project list, and update stakeholders
- Monitor departmental and company finances, adjusting as necessary to meet company financial goals
- Maintain and improve business processes
- Effectively present team activities and strategies to the company executives
Knowledge, Skills, & Experience Required
- A bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline is required (BSME preferred)
- Minimum 5 years engineering management experience
- Experience managing a medium sized team
- Experience directly mentoring less experienced team members
- The ability to recruit and hire top talent
- Previous design and development experience in a product oriented environment
- Familiarity with phase gate NPD processes and automotive style quality methods (DFMEA, PPAP, etc.)
- The ability to collaborate with other functions and accomplish goals with ambiguous requirements
- Flexibility to adapt quickly to new challenges and shift priorities as needed
- The ability to create and maintain a positive and healthy work culture
- The skills to prioritize work assignments and meet deadlines
- Skills necessary to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Experience with root cause analysis preferred
While performing the duties of this job in the Plant or Warehouse, the employee can be exposed to noise. The noise level is usually moderate but hearing protection may be required in designated areas.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee will use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and to use a computer keyboard with mouse for long periods of time. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move 25 pounds.
Light travel is required as business needs dictate (10-15%)